MOOSE KNUCKLES BEHIND THE SEAMS
OUR ETHICALLY, ENVIRONMENTALLY, AND RESPONSIBLY SOURCED MATERIALS
Sustainability is at the core of Moose Knuckles’ brand values. Our mission is to make the very best products in the world for its inhabitants while still being kind to the planet itself. We’re not perfect, but we are always striving to becoming the most responsible version of ourselves from the materials we use to the factories that produce our time-honored products. We are committed to sourcing 50% of all our fabrics from certified, responsible, regenerative or recycled sources by end 2025. All of our down and shearling are ethically, environmentally, and responsibly sourced as by-products of the food industry. We have already begun, and will continue to actively challenge ourselves during every step of this pursuit in order to ensure a better future for all living things: from the tundra to the city.
OUR 5 PILLARS OF SUSTAINABILITY
1. RESPONSIBLE PRODUCT: Redefining sustainable product development and production to include traceability, transparency and a preferred fiber sourcing strategy.
2. CIRCULARITY: Incorporating circular design and business model principles for extended producer responsibility.
3. CLIMATE ACTION: Measuring, reporting and mitigating our impact.
4. CULTURE: Education and accountability across all functions of our business.
5. MOOSE CARES: Supporting our global community through philanthropy and community engagement.
ANIMAL WELFARE POLICY
We at Moose Knuckles care deeply about animal welfare. In addition to only sourcing animal by-products from animals raised for the food industry, in 2022 we stopped producing garments with fox fur as part of our commitment to this global initiative. All remaining inventory of fox fur, found on garments available online and in stores, are from Saga-certified farmed fox produced prior to our current animal welfare policy.
LEATHER, SHEARLING, AND WOOL
We believe in using animal products conscientiously, which is why the leather, shearling, and wool, we use are by-products of the food industry. We only source from suppliers that prioritize the healthy lives and humane treatment of the animals themselves, proven through rigorous standards, third-party verifications, and supply chains that are transparent and traceable. Important partners for us in this regard are the Leather Working Group (LWG) and the Responsible Wool Standard (RWS).
ARCTIC SHEARLING™ AND NEOSHEAR™
We understand that many customers look for a similar aesthetic and level of warmth that fur offers, which is why we strive to produce the highest quality alternatives. All shearling trims used on the hoods of Moose Knuckles outerwear are made with our proprietary shearlings called Arctic Shearling™ and Neoshear™ which undergo our signature treatment process. The advantages and benefits of our Arctic Shearling™ and Neoshear™ include:
- Superior insulative protection and warmth (compared to certain fox fur) without losing their natural look and feel from exposure to the elements.
- Sourced as a by-product from farms raising sheep for the food industry, avoiding unused shearling ending up in landfill.
- Mainly from sheep raised in northern climates, where temperatures can reach -30°C/ -22°F during the winter.
- As durable through snowstorms, cold and inclement weather as fox fur.
- Their dense, augmented fibers produce a larger air buffer area than our previous fox fur hoods, minimizing wind chill discomfort and providing enhanced protection from precipitation.
- Made from natural fibers that are biodegradable.
All of the down we use at Moose Knuckles has been certified by the Responsible Down Standard (RDS), which is overseen by Textile Exchange, a non-profit organization whose purpose is to drive positive environmental and social action in the global textile and fiber markets. RDS ensures that the animals enjoy the “five freedoms” of animal welfare:
- Freedom from Hunger
- Freedom from Pain
- Freedom from Discomfort
- Freedom from Fear
- Freedom from Distress
RDS underpins these principles with a system of rigorous standards, auditing by accredited third-parties, verification, transparency, and continual multi-stakeholder improvement in the standards and methods. By using only RDS-certified down and by participating in international dialogues to ensure RDS standards and methods continue to be rigorous, we at Moose Knuckles work hard to ensure a humane quality of life for the geese and ducks we source.
We are committed to providing our customers with the best quality materials we can find; but we also understand the impact synthetic fibers have on the environment and we are dedicated to replacing conventional nylon and polyester with their Global Recycled Standard (GRS) certified recycled counterparts while never sacrificing quality or performance.
We are striving to convert 50% of all our synthetic fabrics to recycled alternatives by 2025.